Zero Toxics Knowledge Base
Triclosan is a synthetic antimicrobial, made from petroleum, that is added to many consumer products intended to reduce or prevent bacterial contamination.
- endocrine disruptor
- skin and breast cancer
- alteration of gut microbiome and colon inflammation
- it has been found in blood and in breast milk, which means that women are passing this chemical on to their developing babies.
- it is bioaccumulative, which means it builds up in our bodies to higher and higher concentrations. Your body will not naturally detox this chemical unless you do something specific to remove it.
PRODUCTS THAT CONTAINS TRICLOSAN
- acne treatments
- antibacterial dish soaps
- body washes
- cleaning supplies
- clothing (clothing withhout triclosan)
- cosmetics (cosmetics withohut triclosan)
- deodorants (deodorants without triclosan)
- detergents (detergents without triclosan)
- furniture (furniture without triclosan)
- hand sanitizers
- kitchenware (kitchenware without triclosan)
- mattresses (mattresses without triclosan)
- shoes (shoes without triclosan)
- toothpastes (toothpaste without triclosan)
- toys (toys without triclosan)
Products marketed as “germ-killing” or “antibacterial” often contain triclosan, but it is usually not listed on labels. If you are considering purchasing a product so labeled, contact the manufacturer to find out what type of antimicrobial is used.
In 2017 the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) banned triclosan and 23 other active ingredients for use in over-the-counter health care antiseptic products. These include health care personnel hand washes and rubs, surgical hand scrubs and rubs, and patient antiseptic skin preparations. Of the 24 banned active ingredients, only triclosan is currently used in any marketed health care antiseptic products.
ZERO TOXICS IS LIKE A PUZZLE
In this Knowledge Base, i'm gathering together bits and pieces of information about materials used to make products, and bringing some order to them so we can all better understand what's in our products. So many pages will be incomplete as I go through this process. When I feel I've put together a fairly complete picture of the material, I'll take down this notice from this page.
ZERO TOXICS is rooted in my forty years of research and experience living toxic-free. I'm gathering and organizing the data I have to make this knowledge available to everyone. Feel free to ask questions, share data, and join in the discussion in the comments section below.
How to Comment